Top 10 Things To Do During the Holidays in Hawaii
Spending the holidays in the islands of Hawaii is a lot of fun. Visitors and locals alike can revel in the spirit of the season in a uniquely Hawaiian way. Here’s our top 10 list of holiday activities. There are the usual things that everyone wants to do in Hawaii and then there are some special activities that you can enjoy during the season.
1. Holiday Surfing – (one of our favorites) celebrate the season with a holiday surf with friends and family. It’s the perfect Hawaiian way to share some together time and be thankful for all you have!
2. Honolulu City Lights – “Honolulu City Lights” is a festive installation of holiday displays in downtown Honolulu. There is food and fun for kids of all ages. This annual tradition is a perfect way to feel the spirit of the season if you are spending it on the island of Oahu.
3. Holiday Hula Shows – Most of the larger towns in the islands have special, free holiday hula shows that run through the end of December. These are fun events for the entire family. Of course there will be some special holiday merriment mixed in with traditional dances. Lahaina and Waikiki have regular shows scheduled in public spots.
4. Snow on Mauna Kea – Missing a little snow in your holiday? Well, if you’re staying on the Big Island you can take a tour of Mauna Kea. At nearly 14,000 ft., snow makes a regular appearance on the summit. There are established tour companies that can introduce you to the geology of the islands as well as give you the star-gazing experience of a lifetime!
5. Music – On all of the islands, there are concerts that feature traditional Hawaiian music during the holiday season. Some of them will definitely have a uniquely Hawaiian take on holiday favorites. Many of these concerts are free of charge and held in public spaces.
6. Surfing Santa –Santa makes his annual visit to Hawaii too. If you are traveling with children, you can find a Hawaiian Santa visiting almost every island. If you are staying in Waikiki, look for Santa’s annual arrival via canoe, riding the famous waves of Waikiki onto the beach.
7. Tour the Decorations – Hawaii’s hotels and resorts are decked out for the holidays. You do not need to be a guest to enjoy a tour of the decorations! Often there are free events taking place for the kids to enjoy. Make an afternoon of it.
8. Holiday Hike – There is no dashing the through the snow, but a wonderful way to celebrate the holidays with friends and family in Hawaii is with a holiday hike. The landscape is so beautiful that it can be a very spiritual experience for all. Some of the hikes we love are the Manoa Falls Trail (easy) and the Olomana Trail (more challenging) on Oahu, the Iao Valley (easy) on Maui and the Na Pali Coast on Kauai (challenging).
9. New Year’s Eve Fireworks – If you are lucky enough to ring in the New Year in the islands, there are plenty of firework displays taking place. Waikiki hosts an amazing fireworks display on New Year’s Eve. On Kauai, for fireworks head to Poipu Beach, on Maui you can see shows in Wailea and beautiful Hana, and on the Big Island head to Kailau-Kona.
10. Time with Friends & Family – Last but not least, just taking time to get away from the regular hustle and bustle of life to spend time with friends and loved ones is the best way to spend the holidays in Hawaii. There is no other place like an Exotic Estates vacation home in which to make memories of a lifetime!